The Science Behind the Accuracy of Pregnancy Tests
Home pregnancy tests are made to detect the human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) pregnancy hormone in the urine. The body starts to produce hCG soon after the fertilized egg implants in the uterus, but it usually takes around two weeks for levels to be high enough for accurate detection.
Thanks to advanced technology, these tests are now sensitive and detect even the slightest change in urine content. Some of the proprietary hormones measured by the pregnancy tests are hCG-H, hCG, and hyperglycosylated hCG. The entire pregnancy hormone group is released into the blood and urine when the fertilized egg has been implanted.
How Does the First Response Early Result Pregnancy Test Work?
The First Response, an early result pregnancy test, is made to detect the pregnancy hormone that appears slightly earlier than the main hCG, and that is the hCG-H. Namely, this hormone is produced right after the implantation of different cell sets. Its contents can tell you if you are pregnant sooner than your missed period.
This is how the First Response early result pregnancy test can produce reliable results much earlier than other pregnancy tests.
Such early detection tests are useful because the first few weeks of pregnancy are critical to fetal development. So, when you learn early on in the process, you can give your baby the prenatal care it needs early on.
Also, the sooner you find out, the sooner you can make healthy pregnancy choices for yourself and your baby. From diet and nutrition to limiting your exposure to hazards, early detection tests pay off in the long run.
Things to Know About Testing Early
Early pregnancy isn’t always easy to detect. However, sometimes the level of your pregnancy hormones isn’t as high to detect even in the later stages of the process. It is a unique situation that depends on each female body. So, suppose you aren’t producing enough hCG to be detected by a regular pregnancy test. In that case, the First Response Early Result Pregnancy Test will be the only test to tell you whether you are pregnant or not with much higher accuracy.
When lab tested, the First Response Early Result Pregnancy Test detected pregnancy in 76% of pregnant women, 5 days before their expected period.
Then, when tested for detecting typical pregnancy hormone 4 days before a woman’s expected period, the First Response Early Result Pregnancy Test detected the pregnancy in 96% of pregnant women.
Furthermore, the First Response Early Result Pregnancy Test was also tested in pregnant women 3 days before their missed period, 2 days, and 1 day and on the day of their missed period. The accuracy? TheFirst Response Early Result Pregnancy Test detected their pregnancies in >99% of the cases.
According to statistics, these pregnancy test results are truly remarkable, mainly because the testing is highly reliable.
The EasyRead App
The Early Result Pregnancy Test allows you to connect an app to it and get confirmation on the phone. When connected, it will convert your home pregnancy test result into the words “Pregnant” or “Not Pregnant.”
This is a very convenient thing as you fully digitalize the process and keep the first response test result with you no matter where you go.
How to Test With The Early Result Kit
This testing kit is made with an ‘EasyRead’ design, as First Response calls it, and is created to be used easily, without producing any mess around.
When you open the package, you find a test with the absorbent tip protected by a cap, the clear result window with the two possible outcomes printed right next to it, and the thumb grip.
You need to hold the stick by the thumb grip and place it under your urine stream with the absorbent tip pointed down. Ensure the result window is down, facing away from the body, so it doesn’t get splashed in the process. You need to keep the absorbent tip under the stream for 5 seconds and then remove it.
On the other hand, there is an alternative to the process if you don’t feel comfortable placing the absorbent tip under your urine stream. Namely, you can collect urine in a clean and dry cup and then dip the tip and hold it in position for 5 seconds.
Once you have dipped and removed, you will need to wait for 3 minutes for the result. While holding the stick with the absorbent tip pointing down, put the cap back on for protection. Place the stick on a flat, dry surface and have the ‘EasyRead’ result window facing up.
Set a timer so you don’t miss the 3-minute mark, or you don’t mistake the results when checking too early. The evaporation line may also appear at a certain point in the process, but you need to be patient for the accurate result at the exact time.
The ‘EasyRead’ result window will change color to pink as the test processes your urine content. This means the pregnancy test is working. Once the 3 minutes are over, you will get the pregnancy test results clear as a day.
How to Get the Most Accurate Result With the Early Result Pregnancy Test?
The first response pregnancy test is straightforward to use and has a big open result window, so reading the outcome will not be a problem. However, your actions may affect the result test negatively if not handled correctly.
One of the most common questions pregnant women have trouble with is identifying or confirming the response they got from the test after the 3-minute mark.
Namely, some wait even longer than 3 minutes, but the pink line that confirms the early result test isn’t visible. The First Response pregnancy test brand states that there are three possible reasons for such an outcome.
- If the first pink line doesn’t show at all, then the test is invalid. It has been exposed to the sun for too long, or the date had expired.
- Secondly, there could be insufficient urine content on the absorbent stick that causes this. Technically, you did not leave the tip in the urine cup or under the urine stream for enough time. Hence there was insufficient material to be tested for the pregnancy hormone hCG.
- The third one, which applies in all cases and is very important to remember, is that you should always hold the pregnancy test with the wide absorbent tip downward while placing the cap. If you did not do this, you might have affected the test result and made it unable to detect the specific pregnancy hormone or the hCG group.
If you find yourself in such a situation, retake the test with another First Response pregnancy test as soon as possible, carefully following all directions.
Another thing that customers do that might affect the pregnancy tests result is leaving the test out in the open for too long without checking. If left standing for a certain period, exposed to heat and oxygen, the test will change the result. Namely, if the test result was negative, the pink line will disappear 10 minutes after the response.
This is why we advise reading the first response test as soon as possible after waiting 3 minutes and then disposing of it. Depending on the result, if you would like to keep the test, then we advise scanning with the EasyRead application and keeping the digital pregnancy test result with you on your phone.
Review of the First Response Pregnancy Tests
There are different First Response pregnancy tests sold in the pharmacies, all designed to detect the clinically proven urinary pregnancy marker – human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) and provide an accurate result whether the woman testing is pregnant or not.
Here are some of the home pregnancy tests from this brand that you might be offered when looking to test sooner than your missed period.
- FIRST RESPONSE™ Early Result Pregnancy Test – This line test comes with two pregnancy tests inside. The pregnancy hormone is measured in 3 minutes, and with it, you can test 6 days sooner than your missed period. You can expect over 99% of accuracy.
- FIRST RESPONSE™ Early Result Pregnancy Test – This is their second line test with three testing sticks in the package. Again, with it, you can test the pregnancy hormone 6 days sooner than your expected period, the wait time is 3 minutes, and it has an accuracy of over 99%.
- FIRST RESPONSE™ Test & Confirm Pregnancy Test – This is a combination of tests in a package. You get a digital “YES+ / NO-” test plus a line test for added accuracy and peace of mind. Just like the previous two, with this device, you can test the pregnancy hormone 6 days sooner than your expected period and get over 99% accurate results. The waiting time is 3 minutes.
- FIRST RESPONSE Gold™ Pregnancy Test – In the Gold package, you get 2 digital tests with an open window clearly stating a “YES+ / NO-” response. You test on the 6th day of your expected period or later if you want. The accuracy is over 99%, and the wait time is 3 minutes as well.
- FIRST RESPONSE™ Rapid Result Pregnancy Test – First Response test with two sticks in the packaging. This is their quick test that you take on the day of your expected period and the wait time is only 1 minute. The wait time is shortened here because the typical pregnancy hormone levels are higher in your urine by then. Hence the test will detect it sooner. The accuracy stated by the company is over 99% when tested as per instructions.
The brand has other related products like ovulation tests and other fertility tests you can get to give you more insight into your body when trying to conceive.
As for the pregnancy tests, it is a great benefit that they all come in a package of 2 or 3 so that you have a spare test to repeat the process and be 100% sure of the result. Also, by retesting, you can rule out any user error that might have happened without you being aware.
First Response Pregnancy Test Reviews: Positive and Negative Comments
If you are trying to find a good test that accurately detects the pregnancy hormone, you are surely relying on positive and negative reviews to pick the best. With so many of them available on the market, it truly can be a hassle to find one that detects the typical pregnancy hormone levels and does so conveniently.
Here are some experiences of ladies that used the pregnancy test First Response.
Positive Reviews After Using First Response Home Pregnancy Test
- I wanted to find out early if I was pregnant. Anyone who has been trying gets that the two weeks wait is craziness. I started having symptoms and had cheap tests done that came back a ‘big fat not pregnant.’ I went to the store, still convinced I was pregnant and read that this test could detect 6 days sooner than the day of my missed period. I wasn’t quite a believer, but I took it in the afternoon that same day and got two lines! Out of all tests I have used, this one was the most accurate at detecting typical levels of the pregnancy hormone hCG. Since then, I’m recommending it as the best pregnancy test out there.
- After using other pregnancy tests with my previous pregnancy, I ran across someone’s review saying that these tests can detect sooner than the day of your missed period. I was curious to try, so I bought a box with the digital and the line test and tested even when I thought I was not pregnant, although we were trying with my hubby. I have to say I was surprised to see how this test detects the pregnancy hormone content before it has a chance to increase. I have to say this is the best pregnancy test I have ever used.
Negative Reviews After Using Clearblue Pregnancy Test
- I started feeling some pregnancy symptoms, and my partner advised me to take a pregnancy test before I go to the doctors’. Several friends told me this test is pretty accurate at detecting typical changes in hormones, but this was not the case for me. I tested on the 1st day of expected period but got a negative result twice. They say it’s 99% accurate at detecting, but I cannot confirm this pregnancy test sensitivity. Note that hormone levels may vary, but the test should still be able to detect them.
- I tested with the digital pregnancy test and used my morning urine on the 1st day of expected period, but the results were not 99% accurate at detecting as they state. I read many customer reviews stating that First Response detects even the slightest changes two false positives, which were heartbreaking. I had gotten false positives before, and I was told to note that hormone levels could be off, but I was truly hoping that my search for the best pregnancy test would be over with this one.
Home Pregnancy Tests For Early Pregnancy Detection
Wondering whether you are pregnant or not? If you want to find out sooner than the day of your missed period, then take a pregnancy test that promises over 99% accurate results. The First Response detects the pregnancy hormone levels even at their slightest changes.
However, when taking such tests that detect the pregnancy hormone levels, note that following the instructions correctly is of utmost importance. Here are the possible reasons why you have followed the directions but still had gotten incorrect results.
- Your ovulation period was off. Many women have a hard time determining their ovulation period. This is why taking ovulation tests will help to know when to try to conceive.
- Diluted urine. When measuring hCG levels, note that hormone content isn’t the same at night or first thing in the morning. So, when measuring pregnancy hormone levels, note that it is best to use your morning urine and not drink any liquids prior.
- Recent abortion or miscarriage. The results your test gives may be false even if you test on the day of your missed period because of a recent miscarriage. In this case, it is best to consult with an obstetrician-gynecologist who can confirm the test results.
- Molar pregnancy. A molar pregnancy won’t only get the test to show inaccurate results, but it is also a hazard to women’s health. When detecting the hCG levels, note that hormone changes may occur even when not pregnant. In this case, the hormone changes are due to a molar pregnancy that produces these levels. However, this isn’t viable and has to be terminated as soon as possible. So, if the First Response detects the pregnancy but you don’t feel any of the typical symptoms or have pain in your stomach, it is time to see a doctor.
- You might get a one-line result or not pregnant if you used the pregnancy test First Response too early. Tests usually show the best results on the first day of your missed period. But the First Response tests guarantee results even sooner than that. However, if you get a false negative but are sure that you are pregnant, buy more tests and retest again on the first or even the third day of your missed period. 5 days sooner may be too soon for your body to produce the proper amount of hCG, affecting the results.