In a world where instant gratification is sought after and expected in many cases; companies are quickly changing their methods in order to keep up with this attitude. Back to school, or in our case, first time school experience, we are preparing ourselves on the new changes to our schedules such as school drop off, school pick-up, full time jobs and the inevitable food prep for the week. Now, food prep will include snacks that takes into consideration the restrictions the school board has outlined due to food allergies
However as much as I’d love to say that we always prepare our food ahead of time, this isn’t always the case. This is why Minute Rice® Ready to Serve Cups are kept in our pantry for those on-the-go days. Rice is a staple in our house. It even trumps potatoes and noodles. These pre-portioned single serving mini-bowls of rice take only one minute in the microwave to cook perfectly every time.
I’ve started trying some new recipes in order to prepare myself for what’s to come. Rice is no longer a simple side dish on our plate, it’s embedded into the meal. Here are a couple of my favourites that are quick, convenient, great-tasting and super simple to prepare as a result, instant gratification.
Minute Rice® Chicken Vegetable Rice Crunch
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 10 min
1 Minute Rice® Ready to Serve Cup – Vegetable Medley
Quantities of your choice of:
Cooked shredded chicken
- Heat Minute Rice®® Ready to Serve Cup – Vegetable Medley in microwave, per package instructions.
- Transfer to bowl, and add cooked shredded chicken and ranch dressing.
- Stir in chopped nuts, sliced celery, sliced radish and shredded lettuce.
- Stuff into pita halves
One-Pan Taco Dinner
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
4 x 1 Minute Rice® Ready to Serve Cup – Whole Grain Brown Rice
1lb (500 g) lean ground beef
1 pkg (35 g) taco seasoning mix
2 cups (500 ml) water
1 cup (250 ml) mild salsa
1 cup (250 ml) shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups (500 ml) shredded lettuce
1 large tomato, chopped
additional mild salsa (optional)
sour cream (optional)
1. Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; set over medium-high heat. Crumble in ground beef; cook until browned. Drain off excess fat.
2. Add taco seasoning mix and water; stir. Bring to a boil.
3. Stir in rice. Spread salsa evenly over the rice and sprinkle with cheese.
3. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer for 5 minutes. Uncover and top with lettuce and tomato just before serving. Serve with additional salsa and sour cream (if using).
- No need for utensils; serve with tortilla chips instead of forks.
- Try using 3 tbsp (45 ml) Tex Mex Seasoning blend instead of the taco seasoning.
Minute Rice® Ready to Serve Cups are available at major retailers nationally. There are a variety of flavours to choose, such as Basmati and Whole Grain, contain plain rice and can be enjoyed on their own or as a base for a meal, while others, such as Oriental Style, contain additional ingredients like peas, sweet red pepper, mushrooms and onions in a light soy-flavoured base. Vegetable Medley, a favourite among kids, blends peas, carrots and corn with long grain rice.
Want to get your hands on a few of these Minute Rice® Ready to Serve Cups, I am thrilled to announce I am giving away three cases (48 cups – a $66 value) to one reader. All you have to do is enter using the Rafflecopter below. Contest will run Aug 28th – Sept 5th, 12am EST. Winner will be notified via email. a Rafflecopter giveaway