This fun learning tool for shapes, colors and numbers is a neat way to countdown to Christmas.
- Large 32″ x 36″ sheet of felt
- 10-12 sheets of felt of various colours
- fabric “no sew” bond
- measuring tape
- glue gun
- felt numbers
- dowel rod
- Optional: Fabric of your choice for the elf
- googly eyes
- iron & ironing board
1. Start by designing what you want your Advent calendar to look like with a simple sketch or two. This step will also help you determine how many pieces of felt you will need for the elf, tree, pocket and ornaments.
2. Cut out the shapes using plain white paper to ensure all parts of your masterpiece will fit.
3. Draw 25 small circles inside the tree paper form. This is to guide you for the size of your 25 days till Christmas ornaments.
4. Once you have decided where everything goes and the fit for each it’s time to start cutting the forms out of the felt. Don’t forget to leave room for the dowel rod.
- For the tree, each section used an entire piece of felt.
- The bottom left side corner, the pocket for the ornaments to be stored also used an entire piece of felt.
- Be as creative as you wish. This is your Advent Calendar.
5. Use different shapes and colors for each ornament.
6. Now its time to start generously placing the “no sew” bonding tape behind each felt piece.
I suggest doing each shape (excluding the ornaments) piece by piece. Iron each piece separately.
7. Add felt numbers to each ornament shape.
8. Cut small velcro pieces and glue to the back side of each ornament. This will help reinforce the form to the tree and from little tiny hands.
9. Glue the other side of the velcro onto the tree.
10. Weave the dowel rod through the space you provided.
11. Add the rope to hang.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.